Area2,044 sq mi
The state of Delaware is part of the original 13 colonies, often known as the First State. When it comes to territory, it’s the second-smallest in the United States and doesn’t have many populations. The biggest city is Wilmington, with a booming financial market, while the capital city is Dover. The most urbanized counties are in the north, especially New Castle County.
This was the first state to ratify the united Constitution signed in 1787, thus becoming an official state. Today, most corporations consider it to be a kind of haven because of its laws. For instance, 60% of companies in the Fortune 500 list are based in this place of the United States. This region is small but powerful, with an economy that grows each year.
When thinking about climate, it has a subtropical one with warm summers and not-so-cold winters. Also, it’s placed on a level plain with few elevations above sea level. When it comes to geography, the most relevant element is that it has the Atlantic Coastline right next to the county. The beaches are very beautiful, although the ground can get swampy and uncomfortable.
The state is also well-known because of the code that established how much liquor it can sell and to whom. For instance, only licensed establishments can do so and between 9 am, and 1 am. Surprisingly, up to 2003, this province did not sell this type of beverage on Sundays.
How We Figured Out Which Were the Best States to Live In
To figure out the best state to live in, we considered a lot of crucial metrics regarding the quality of life. This does not only include salaries or the price of homes but also security, health, the quality of roads and bridges, and even more indicators relevant to people’s lives. All this data was derived from official documents such as the latest census, FBI reports, written papers by the Department of Health, and more.
This is one of the least populated states in the country. The only places with fewer inhabitants include the Dakotas, Alaska, and Wyoming. This mainly happens because there are not so many job opportunities or higher education institutions. New Castle County has the largest population of 558,753 people.
Income in $Data: $62,852
Although the economy is not so thriving, the median income per home is quite good. With an annual wage of more than $60,000, most persons would afford their own home or car in the near future. Most people here work in agriculture (with rich soil for produce), manufacturing, and mining.
Home ValueData: $284,787
Properties here are affordable. The value is adjusted each season, and it went up in the last few years, even despite the coronavirus pandemic. The most expensive places where to buy new houses are Bethany Beach, Selbyville, and Lewes, with almost double the median price value.
The Delaware unemployment numbers are fairly good, especially considering the type of economy it has. Growth was steady, showing a lot of new jobs created between the years 2018 and 2020. Yet, the unemployed population was at its peak in May 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The poverty indicator is acceptable when compared with other states, according to the latest census. Unfortunately, a lot of these poor inhabitants are children and single parents (especially women). American seniors also have a deficient pension, so they have a risk of falling below the poverty line.
The education indicator is decent, although higher institutions can improve its quality. For example, the Cape Henlopen School District in Lewes, Sussex County, is among the highest-rated in the region. School Boards and superintendents are chosen locally and know how to attend to the needs of the inhabitants here.
MedicineHealth Outcomes: 35
Almost 20% of the Delaware population has no private insurance here. They would have to pay for treatments out of their pockets, which is very expensive. This also shows that a significant portion of the population cannot access a good job covering their insurance.
CrimeViolent Crime: 4,115
This is one of the most peaceful places in the United States. For example, the rate of murder here is among the lowest, so it’s not considered to be a problem. The least safe cities include Wilmington, Kent, and Georgetown, but still it’s not something to be scared of.
When it comes to the natural environment, the indicators are fairly good. The quality of the air the inhabitants breathe is decent. The same happens with water, which has one of the best numbers in the country, only behind Hawaii and Alabama. This is in sharp contrast with Pennsylvania and Texas.
InfrastructurePoor Roads: 3.90%
In terms of infrastructure, the rate is quite decent. Only 4% of roads and bridges are in bad conditions. The most important one is the bridge that crosses over the Delaware River and connects it with the U.S. Route 40. Anyway, the government puts a lot of money into keeping them safe regardless of the conditions.
- The state motto is “Liberty and Independence,” which was established back in 1847.
- There are 67 zip codes today.
- Most of the territory borders the Atlantic Ocean, though it has a hilly area next to the Appalachian Mountains.
- The income tax is one of the lowest in the American country, with a rate of 6.60%. The property tax, instead, is 0.58%.
- It is geographically rich, with beaches, three forests, hills, and even more natural variety.
- The place has rich soil for harvesting soy, potatoes, corn, and many other crops.
- The flag is blue with a brown diamond and a coat of arms of the province.
- It was named after the river of the same name, which has its history. It was baptized by the colonizers who arrived in Virginia with the European expeditions.
- The state bird in this area is the Blue Hen.
- There are only three counties: Kent County, Sussex County, and New Castle County (all homonyms of English cities in the UK). Each of them has its own flag.
Delaware in Photos
Where Is Delaware?
It has a shore next to the Atlantic coast. To the South, it has Maryland, while Pennsylvania is to the North, and New Jersey is located to the East. The river divides the united province in two, and there are some islands to be reached from here.
What Is Delaware Known for?
It is known for its fantastic nature and beautiful landscapes.
Other landmarks include:
- It was the first place to ratify the Constitution in American history and create a flag. Thus, it was the number one province in the whole country, known today as the First State.
- It’s also famous for its favorable income and corporate tax. Many important new businesses decided to put their headquarters here.
- The province is known as the Diamond State because of its strategic location and cities like New Castle, Kent, Dover, and Wilmington. As it’s next to the coast, Jefferson once gave it this American nickname.
What to Do in Delaware?
Being on the Atlantic Ocean coast, people can visit the fantastic Delaware beaches along the whole coastline.
But there are other activities to do, such as:
- Each June, people get to enjoy the Firefly Music Festival in Dover, Kent County, which gathers local musicians and bands (and also from other states).
- There’s also a famous state fair: a non-profit event organized every year that tourists can visit without problems.
- Visit the more than 17 Delaware state parks and enjoy activities such as horse riding, skating, or just enjoying nature in each county. They can also learn more about American history by visiting museums.
Why Do Companies Incorporate in DE?
The state is favorable in terms of taxes. That is why many people decide to incorporate their company there. For instance, the income tax for businesses is very low, only 8.7%. Most importantly, there is no sales tax in this place, which is quite different from what other states do.
This makes it easier for companies to sell cheap products while increasing their revenue as a whole. That is why it’s considered to be a tax shelter.